How to Register a Motorcycle Without a Title Legally

Hey, rider! Do you have a motorcycle without a title? Instead of disposing of it, let me show you how to register a motorcycle without a title legally. I’ve had a couple of project bikes titled without a previous title certificate or pink slip.

how to register a motorcycle without a title

On one occasion, I bought a motorcycle from a private seller in CA without a title and only bill of sale. The seller never registered the motorcycle since he had no title. Apparently, he was getting rid of the bike without a title to cover his loss.


After acquiring the motorcycle, I managed to get a title for it out of CA. I made calls to several states to enquire about their titling policies and learned what I’m sharing with you.

The motorcycle was not stolen; even the DMV confirmed it was clean. After a few days, I could sign the previous owner’s name and receive my tags. The motor vehicle department just needed the money, though.


Should I buy a motorcycle without a title?

Yes and No. Yes, if you know the seller and the motorcycle is clean. No, if the seller is a stranger because you may be purchasing a stolen motorcycle. Even if you look up the VIN or phone the motor vehicle department, you’ll find that the motorcycle is not stolen because the stolen motorbike database is yet to be updated.

If it is a vintage bike, like an old barn find bike you found, it may not have a title originally, so you can buy and title it easily (I do not mean really easily).

A motorcycle title is proof of ownership; without it, the motorcycle is not yours. A bill of sale only confirms the transaction between you and the seller, so it can be forged. Motor vehicle agencies do not mandate having a bill of sale.

How to Register a Motorcycle Without a Title (Only Bill of Sale)

Since it is possible to put a motorcycle without a title in your name, how is it done?


Below are the steps regarding how to register a motorcycle without a title:

  1. Switch the VIN with a Similar Motorcycle

Why would a motorcycle not have a title

You can perform a VIN switch by buying a VIN and title or getting it from a salvage yard. However, the motorcycle make, model, and year must be similar to avoid conflicting the report

When buying a VIN, make sure it is not linked with a stolen motorcycle elsewhere. Also, make sure your back fees owed to the DMV, and other toll violations and parking fines do not pass to the recent motorcycle owner.

Look up the scrap yard or online sellers on eBay, Craigslist, Facebook Market, etc., for a salvaged and similar make and model of your motorcycle. If you find a deal between $200 and $500, grab it.

Meanwhile, learn how to buy a motorcycle off eBay. If you prefer Craigslist, I have covered how you can purchase a motorcycle on Craigslist without getting scammed.

Make sure the bike you purchase has no theft record. You may follow my renowned tips to avoid buying a stolen motorcycle.

A questionable VIN plate signifies that the VIN has been modified when you arrive to inspect the salvaged motorcycle. If you purchase it, the police during a routine traffic stop can land you in trouble.

  1. Title It Out of State

If you reside in a state with unfriendly title laws, you can title your bike in a different state and return to register it in your home state legally.

Many states will not get you a new title if your motorbike has no title without a notarized letter from the previous owner listed on the old title or an abandoned/ lean vehicle salvage claim. Vermont, for instance, will title a motorcycle with a lost title if you have a bill of sale and a clean title search during the inspection.

How old does a motorcycle have to be to not have a title

The fee for a lost title is also reasonable in Vermont; check the DMV’s website for the current prices because it changes. After titling your motorcycle, you can transfer it to your state of residence as the original owner.

First, fill out the VT title application and submit the bill of sale and VIN/odometer certificate. You can also complete this process from your state using a titling agency in Vermont. Budget at least $300, though.

Note that this Vermont titling law applies to motorcycles older than 15 years. Moreover, Vermont does not title motorcycles older than 15 years, so you will not be given a title, just registration, and plate.

You will pay for the registration and 6% tax with a minimum of tax on $500. I titled my motorcycle in VT and paid $30.00 tax on $500, plus $44 registration (totaling $74). Returning to CA, I used the registration to get a new motorcycle title.

  1. Title 80s Bike

If you buy an 80s motorcycle, you may be able to get a title for it in your state. In GA, you need a bill of sale and VIN to register a motorcycle without a title. However, the VIN must be clean.

First, you will have the local police inspect your motorcycle for theft and certify you. Next, ride the motorcycle to your local DMV with the certificate to register it in your name.

GV does this for 85 and earlier motorcycles, though. Also, they will not give you a title for the motorcycle.

Make sure to have copies of your valid driver’s license and bill of sale in handy during the DMV application.

  1. Get a Bonded Title

A bonded title gives you the option to register and put a motorcycle with a lost title in your name.

In TX, you must claim you lost contact with the seller or previous owner to use the bonded title procedure for transferring ownership. You can register a motorcycle without a title as a resident and non-resident.

As a resident or military personnel stationed in Texas, the motorcycle must not be salvaged and must be in your possession.

You will require the Bonded Title Application (Form VTR-130-SOF) and supporting ownership evidence (including invoice, bill of Sale, or canceled check) and an acceptable photo ID.

Regarding an out of state motorcycle title application, since the motorcycle was not or has never been titled in Texas, the following are required:

  • Theft investigation (you’ll obtain a motor vehicle identification number inspection). Get this inspection from the local police or sheriff’s office.
  • If your documents are approved, you’ll be issued a Notice of Determination for a Bonded Title or Tax Assessor-Collector Hearing.

You may refer to Texas DMV’s documentation to verify this information.

Meanwhile, when selling a motorcycle, the license plate stays with the owner in Texas.

  1. The Previous Owner Can Request Replacement title

A registered owner can request a duplicate title for a lost motorcycle title or pink slip. If you ask the seller to request a replacement title, and you get flimsy excuses, it signifies that the motorcycle was stolen.

Unless the seller did not register the motorcycle in their name and can’t contact the previous owner, they must obtain the title and sign it over.

If the seller owes money on the motorcycle, it is the lienholder’s responsibility to request a new title for the motorcycle (if they lost theirs). But the lienholder can only take this step after the loan is paid off.

If you inherited the motorcycle but the previous owner is dead, you will need a death certificate to request a replacement title for transferring ownership.

  1. Make a Fake Motorcycle Title

How do I get a title for a motorcycle that doesn't have one
Fake Iowa Title

It’s illegal to make a fake motorcycle title or pink slip in any state. Since a motorcycle is easy to steal, a thief can sell a motorcycle with a fake title to an unsuspecting buyer.

A fake motorcycle bill of sale can also be written as ownership proof to get rid of the stolen motorcycle. When buying a bike out of state, off eBay, etc., examine the pink slip or title certificate thoroughly.

  1. Get Rid of the Motorcycle

Follow my article to learn how to get rid of a motorcycle without a title. The options for getting rid of a no title bike include selling it to junk, parting, giving to a charity, selling it for a track bike project, etc.

You can also sell a motorcycle without a title on eBay but must inform the buyer. If the motorcycle is old, I have covered the steps to dispose of an old motorcycle for money or without.

Getting a title for a motorcycle with only bill of sale only

I mentioned earlier that a bill of sale is not a concrete proof of ownership, so your local department of motor vehicles do not fully endorse it for you to register a motorcycle in your name.

Nonetheless, this whole process of getting the bike registered will need a bill of sale, at least to fill in for the lack of title.

In some cases, the agency may request the writer of the bill of sale to show up and explain how they possessed the motorbike without a title. Or, they may simply advise you to tell the previous owner to request a replacement title.

The big problem with registering a bike with a bill of sale is that is it can be forged. But the same does not apply to a title certificate. Even if you forged a title, there has to be some truth in it, of course, the agency will know.

How hard is it to get a title for a motorcycle?

It is moderately hard to get a title for a motorcycle if it has no title and you cannot contact the seller or previous owner to sign over ownership. However, if you can contact the owner or seller, it is not hard for them to obtain a duplicate motorcycle title certificate. In essence, it is easy to get a new title for a motorcycle you bought without a title. Nonetheless, it is not advisable to buy a motorcycle without a title, except you trust the seller and have money to get you through the registration processes and settle the fee and taxes.

Final Thoughts

Do not be quick to dispose of your bike because it has no title. If you like the motorcycle and consider it a perfect bargain during the time of purchase, pick any option in this list and follow the procedures to title your motorcycle.

Besides, a titled motorcycle is more valuable money-wise than a motorcycle with no title.

Meanwhile, if you buy a motorcycle but discover it has no title, can you return it to the seller and get back your money?

Go, title your bike ASAP to drive legally!

The Family instructor
SHARE this update with others
  1. I have a situation regarding a Bike I own. Not if you can advise. It does not fit any of the issues you have in above information. Would like to discuss. If you know how to possibly legally resolve I have no problem reasonably pay for legitimate information

  2. I have an old barn fine, that I would like to fix up, paid a lady to file a lost title for me and it’s been 2 years. Still not nothing. She did the wrong vin number first and told me it would take another year to do it all over again . I know that the bike check out and the last person that owned it is dead, what should I do?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like